Deuteronomy 31:8

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8







Thursday, July 29, 2010

Muli Shani Mpika

It's hard to believe I've been here a week...I've done so much in just this short amount of time! I'll try to make the details as concise as possible :)

Sunday was spent at IST (in-service training) where we got some shots, filled out some forms, and got sized for our bike and helmets. It was a rather short day of actual scheduled activities and so we had quite a bit of free time to walk around the grounds and just hang out. It was nice to have some freedom to just get out and be outside.

Monday started off bright and early at 0530. We packed up the land cruisers and headed to out 1st site visits. There were 8 of us CHIP volunteers headed to Mpika in Northern province, going to 2 separate sites. It was about a 6-7 hour trip after the stops that we made, and was actually a lot smoother than I had anticipated. Most Zambians do not have personal cars so they get where they need to go walking on the side of the road, biking, and hitching rides...so it was crazy to see people walking right by us as we went 120kmh. Myself and 4 others were at Sarita's site...a volunteer who has been posted for 1 year. Her site was AMAZING! Beautiful garden, separate kitchen, and a very nicely decorated hut. I will have to steal some of her ideas...Since we didn't arrive until late afternoon we just spent the rest of the evening hanging out, asking thousands of questions, and cooking dinner. Chris, a fellow PCV in a nearby village, was also there and he was an incredible cook. He hand made tortillas and then we had tacos with soya pieces as our source of meat. DELICIOUS!

Our first official day was spent meeting the headman of the village (he is the leader), visiting the local clinic where Sarita works with a nurse, and an ECT on many different projects like HIV/AIDS outreach and child health week programs. All of the healthcare provided there is free for patients (including vaccinations) and so are any drugs that they need, including medication for HIV positive patients. That blew my mind! Next we headed to a local school to atttend and afterschool program called anti-AIDS club. The club is made up of 7-9th graders who meet once a week to learn about HIV and AIDS and how to prevent it and educate others about it. They greeted us with songs and a drama skit. And we were also able to play two games with them; lifeboat and an africian version of sharks and minnows now called lions and antelopes. Myself and four of the children were in the final lifeboat so we won "sweeties" or candies. Surprised I went for the win in a game here in Zambia? You shouldn't be :)

On Wednesday we headed off to a village down the road to meet with the neighboorhood health committee (NHC) to go on village inspections. There were about 10 members present and so we split off into 2 groups to check every site in the village to ensure that everyone had a permanent toilet, bathing shelter, handwashing station (called a tippy-tap), mosquito nets for every member of the household, refuse (garbage) pit, and a two-tier drying rack. If any one of those elements were missing the house was charged a 5 pin (5000 kwacha) fine. If they had no money they could give something else, like a chicken or radio, to cover the cost. Improvements would have to be made in the week and the NHC would be back to check. These inspections provided a great teaching opportunity for why all of these were important elements to stay healthy because that's what this Zambian community wants is to be healthy and they are very motivated to do what it takes to get there.

After village inspections we were having a cooking party with the NHC members in the village! My first duty...kill the chicken. Yes you read it correctly, I killed the chicken. Ba Dorothy talked me threw it and with her amazing guidance I had success! Don't believe me? I have pics and a video to prove it, which will be up sometime soon? We'll see, but I have the record! Then we had to cut up all these veggies for the garnish and then the hard task of making the traditional nshima. These Zambian women are so strong because the process requires serious guns due to smashing all the ground nuts, and then whipping the thick nshima batter. I give them so much credit. And we were apart of every step of the making and the Zambians would just laugh and laugh as we struggled and they just asked "do you have food in america?" because we were such strugglers. It was so much fun and they were all such patient teachers with us, and I can only hope that I would be as patient with them if they came to America.

The whole first site visit was such an encouraging time for me. At first I was nervous because they kept telling us about all the people who ET (early terminate) from service and I worried, what if that's me? what if I can't do it? But after being here and living the life in the village for a couple of days (including successfully voiding in a pit latrine and taking a bucket shower) and interacting with the villagers I know that this is where I want to be. It's going to be challenging, but I know that through all things Christ is the one who strengthens me, and I will depend on him to get me through those tough days where I just want to give up.

Prayer Requests:
1. Prepare my heart for the site I will recieve in a couple of weeks time. Also prepare the hearts of the villagers that they will recieve me well.
2. Strength and endurance for PST. Tomorrow we head to a host family and begin our 8 weeks of language skills, tech skills, and health training...it's going to be an intense time where we are busy all day every day and are really stretched. If you are going to send a letter my way consider doing it during this time because on those hard days I think they will be a great source of encouragement knowing that people are really praying for me and supporting me from back home.
3. Continual building of friendships among fellow volunteers.


Okay that's all for now...not sure when I'll be back, but I look forward to hearing from you!!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! What a complete account of your past week! Thanks so much!!!! I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful time! I'll send another letter out so you can get one every week!! Love you, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Em! That's sweet you get a bike!!
    Are you using military time?! hardcore.
    Dude, that's good that so many people are walking on the road hitch hiking and stuff- you'll be a pro ;)
    i'm so glad you were pleasantly surprised by the lady's hut! i bet yours will be adorable :)
    i think the NHC health inspections are really interesting and really a good idea. It's just so different from here, I love that you're telling us so many details!
    the cooking sounds great! do you like the food? have you eaten anything crazy yet?
    I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU KILLED A CHICKEN! you are a warrior! =D
    I'm so glad you're having encouraging feelings about the whole trip. isn't it nuts to think of all that's happened in just a week! think of all the things that will happen in the next 103 weeks! ;)
    Love you, Em- we are praying for you and can't wait to hear more details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE all the details - a girl after my own heart :) it's awesome that you've been able to update so much thus far, i hope it continues! your site visit sounds great, i bet it's nice to finallyy know exactly what you'll be doing - i hope you can put up pictures of what your hut and village look like when you head out, i still have a hard time envisioning what your life looks like now! i CANNOT believe you killed a chicken! could you BE more of a badass?!?! how did you go about doing that? i can't wait for your next update! love you and thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed by your detailed account! I feel like I am right there with you. Well, I am glad I wasn't when you killed a chicken! Haha! I've sent a couple postcards your way, so you should be getting those shortly! Thanks for the wonderful updates. Praying for you, girl!

    ReplyDelete